CTRL Industries Gigante will be reviewed by the hard to please, always angry, and brutally honest Mr. Chow. 


 The CTRL Industries Gigante, over the last months, became part of my typical gi rotation. CTRL Industries lately has been making a lot of noise with their designs. A few months ago, CTRL made the Gigante as their limited edition gi. It is a tribute to the San Francisco Giants. According to the company, they just settled for a small 200 gi production. When the gi was released, a number of BJJ fans noticed striking similarities with the Shoyoroll 7th Son. Both came out rocking the San Francisco theme, and both were released almost around the same time. 
 

Initial Impressions



The price for this gi runs around $170 plus the shipping cost, it fell right at $195. If you are looking for a mid priced gi, this is definitely not the first option for you. The product comes with a sling bag. According to the manufacturer, the gi is 95% preshrunk. The top was made of 420 gsm pearl weave fabric while the pants were made of rip stop material. The construction of the jacket met my expectations. 



I owned a couple of Shoyorolls, and in comparison with the Gigante, I do believe that they are neck and neck with the top dog today in terms of durability and overall construction. Comfort-wise, I do love the feel of the pearl weave jacket. It was comfortable, and the cut fits my 5’6” 160 pound Asian frame. The collar was made of eva foam. 

The pants are also good, though they could've added two more loops. The fit was what I was looking for. It wasn't too tight on my ass or anything.


  
Check the Size Chart


Design

Colored black with an orange contrast stitch, it is just not something that sits well with my preference. I am not at all pleased with the “No Bammer Gi” taping by the skirt. Why did I buy it then? I did love the fact that they made a tribute to the San Francisco Giants. Growing up watching baseball, it has that novelty appeal in you. What I do like about the design is the skyline print that you see by the back. This unique print provides the San Francisco reference. Also, you see embroideries that are really clean and high quality. 

How Did It Do After a Few Months?

Mr. Chow is hard to please. I don’t usually like gis that are not well made. After a few months, the Gigante is still intact. For a $170, I’d have to say that it lived up to the hype. I now understand how BJJ gi hoarders are now saying that this brand could probably be the next in line for Shoyoroll’s throne. There is no significant fading on the gi’s color. I use it around once or twice a week for the past few months now. I bought it around June of 2013 during their pre-selling, and after seven months or so, it is still a great gi to use.