A Review By Mr A-Z. 

To start things of, the Ground Squad is a limited edition gi by CTRL Industries. They only released 250 of this particular design. Heavily influenced by Navajo culture, I find this gi unique. I received this gi as a gift so in terms of price, I wasn't really able to find out. 


Initial impression

Ground Control, CTRL Industries
I really liked the color scheme and whole design of the gi. The turquoise and purple accents along with the Native American patchwork really made the gi stand out. The gi top felt great and the pants even better. The knee area of the pants felt sturdy and good for takedowns.

CTRL Industries, Gi Critic

The gi came with a bag that is made of ripstop. Like I mentioned, I have no idea what the price is because it was given to me as a gift.

Pre-roll review

CTRL Ground Control, Gi Critic

The gi's A2 sizing fit great for my 5'6" 160 pound frame, although a little longer than usual but it was still workable for me. It was soft enough to not actually wear an undershirt underneath the top. The pants were slightly baggy. The drawstring was just the right length and actually kept my pants tied. The embroidery on the gi was both appealing to the sight and to the touch. They felt really well made.

Ground control detail

During the roll review


I loved the jacket. It was both light and aesthetic and did not restrict movement at all. The gi allowed me to flow thoroughly during the drills and sparring sessions. The pants were somewhat a slightly different story. The pants felt great although it was too baggy for my taste. It was comfortable and it did not suffocate my skin as I went through the motions in class. Just as I suspected; the patches and embroidery really was well made. Even after going fairly hard during training, there was no sign of tear or damage.

Post-roll review:

Again, I always state that all my gis are hand washed and air dried under the sun. I have never used a washer or a dryer for my gis. Not even once. There was no shrinking on the gi, which is a shame because I kind of wanted the sleeves to shrink a little and for the pants to tighten a little: although those were just minor things. Even after countless washings, the design is still there and there are no signs of fading on either the gi or the patchwork.

Overall conclusion


The gi is really good. The gi is very pleasing aesthetically. Although the fit on the sleeves and on the legs were not exactly perfect on me, it was nothing major. Overall, the gi is great and has even made it into my weekly rotation during training.