A review by Mr. A-Z

Manila Kimonos released the Finesse early 2014. This is the company's third gi design (after the Tropic Lightweight, and Thrilla Deluxe Gi). Weighing around 1.4 kg for an A1, The Finesse has a 450gsm pearl weave jacket and 10 oz. rip stop pants. The gi top’s sleekness is further highlighted by the black piping used along the lapel. Priced at only $130 plus shipping cost – good buy written all over.

I had the opportunity to talk to the one of the owners of Manila Kimonos. He mentioned that there are many firsts with The Finesse. It is their first time implementing a new cut and sizing scheme. This is also the first time they opened their doors to the international market while still keeping a good base of operations in the Philippines. From a business standpoint, this appears to be a good move towards expansion and reach. Logistics, according to them was a hurdle in expanding new markets.

Initial impression


The simplistic design and minimalistic color scheme is great. I personally love white gis. The piping around the lapel makes it stand out. Not the first gi that came up with a black piping on white gi, but I still dig it. The pearl weave material of the jacket feels soft on the inside, and isn’t abrasive to the skin when rolling in it. The embroidery is of high quality grain, and makes the lotus-themed logo of Manila Kimonos “shine” through its minimalist design.


"Refinement of Basics" 


Like most kimonos in the market today, the Finesse comes in a sublimated gi bag emblazoned with the Manila Kimonos lotus flower logo. The gi also comes with their logo sticker. Personally, I don’t include the gi bag as part of my ratings for a gi. I barely even use the bags after I start rolling in them. If you are keen on the aesthetics of a gi bag, you’re in for a treat. With high-detailed sublimation on the front with their logo – partnered up with the Finesse’s own branding on the bag, Manila Kimonos has spared no expense in making even the minutest details a priority.














Pre-roll review

Gi Bag. Photo Credit to Manila Kimonos

It is definitely one of my better fitting gis, if not the best with my more athletic frame. I am currently 5’6” and weigh 158lbs. and wear an A1. Another highlight of the Finesse is its lightweight feel. It doesn’t weigh you down even after hours of rolling. I am not a fan of rip stop pants, however the Finesse’ pants made me rethink that stand. The pants are sturdy with ample knee support, for my knees when I shoot for a takedown or just simply landing on the mats. The bungee cord that ties up the pants was of enough length to securely tie the rip stop pants in place. Some of my other gis are short on this aspect thus making it a hassle retying the drawstring after every roll.

During the roll review

My expectations were met when rolling in the Finesse. It’s a snug fit, as you would expect from an athletic cut kimono. I felt as if I was flowing through my passes and the techniques I implement in my game. The rip stop pants give enough room to scoot around your hips. I’ve had rip stop pants in the past that limited my movements. For a guard player like me, that is one important aspect to take note of. The sleeves being somewhat of a narrower fit than most gis, is excellent for keeping your opponents grips to a minimum.

Post-roll review

As I’ve stated in my previous reviews: I always hand wash and air-dry my gis under the sun. I never use washers and dryers. The gi retained its softness even after clean up. Shrinkage was minimal, I estimate a half inch for the sleeves and with the rip stop pants barely noticing a change. It’s good to note that the black dye used in the stitching and in the black lapel piping did not bleed during wash. It would be uncool to have black spots on a very clean kimono like the Finesse.

Overall conclusion


For a $130 price tag, you just won't get a gi this good that often, unless you see it on sale on BJJHQ and other websites. I love the fit, I love the simple design, and I most definitely love the price. If there is anything that I do not like about this gi, is that it only comes in white. Cleaning a white gi is a more tedious task especially after a long day’s training. My school uses blue puzzle mats, and the color rubs on this white gi. The Finesse is a small batch run and from what Manila Kimonos told me, they are running out of sizes quick.

A cleaner finish to a jiu-jitsu kimono is what’s more favored these days. Overly embroidered or patch on gis are but a thing of the past. This saves room for school patches or sponsors’ logos. The Finesse in terms of overall quality and aesthetics can be compared to the best brands out there.

If there is any room for improvement, I think they should come up with more colors like the first gi that they released.  

Where to Buy?

To order if you are in the Philippines, you can contact them through their email: manilakimonos@gmail.com or send them a private message through their Facebook Page. For orders elsewhere, you can check their online store.