Intro

We’ve been intrigued by Aesthetic since it first came out. Clean, simple and stylish, those were the impressions that this brand made to us. This isn’t the first time that we mentioned the brand to our readers here on Gi Critic. We also mentioned Aesthetic in our list of top small brands months back. This time around though, we are going to make a review for the Aurora IV.

For a small brand, it surprised us how they have the “No pre-orders, no reissue” strategy. It is a bold move for a small company to come up with fresh designs every now and then.

I had the pleasure to know Andy Chan, the co owner of Aesthetic. According to him, he and his brother Jon started the brand in 2012. We already contacted them in the past about making a possible review of their previous designs, but unfortunately, the supplies ran out quite fast.


Jacket

I opened the box and found the brand new Aurora IV, a clean white gi trimmed with yellow gold accent.
They made use of 425gsm pearl weave fabric on the jacket making this gi perfect for competition and for day to day training.

In terms of the design, the Japanese kanji for Aesthetic easily caught my attention. It is located in front of the left skirt and another one located at the back.

On the right shoulder portion, as well as on the left chest area of the jacket, you’ll see embroidered designs of the brand’s logos and type font.

Of course, just like all the Aurora series, Aesthetic included the signature asymmetrical sunrise stitch coming from the left edge of the jacket all the way to the right side.



The jacket feels just like any other 450gsm pearl weave jacket that has the rough exterior. However, it was extremely soft on the inside.




When it comes to the lapel, Aesthetic used EVA foam collar covered with ripstop fabric.

Inspecting the inside of the jacket, I was impressed with the inner tapes located on the sleeves and on the edge of the gi. The areas where the inside tapes were located had reinforced layers of ripstop fabric.

As for the tape, it really never bothered me while rolling. It wasn’t scratchy, and I never noticed it. So yes, forget about me bitching about the “scratchy sleeve tape”.

 Pants

For the pants, you have an option to have another pair for less than £10. Aesthetic made it possible for their customers to choose between cotton twill or Rip stop pants. In fact, why not just get both?

As for the design of the pants, with a small embroidered Aesthetic font on the shin and a kanji on the right leg, Aesthetic rocked with a minimalist approach.

The Aurora IV used bungee rope tied to six loops, and for me, this didn’t give me a hard time during the sparring rounds. It is also easy to take off.

I also like the fact that they provided knee reinforcement (from thighs to ankle).

If there is something I’d recommend for the next Aesthetic gis, hopefully they could add a pearl weave groin gusset to both rip stop and cotton twill pants. For the Aurora IV, you have pearl weave groin gusset reinforcement for the cotton twill pants.





Rolling Impressions

I really love the fit of this new Aurora IV, except for the sleeves. I find it a bit long for my taste which allowed more teammates to grip on my sleeve. I like the fact that the jacket is soft on the inside which made rolling comfortable. Also, it is light which never hampered my mobility regardless if passing or playing guard.

As I mentioned on previous the Mata Leon review, I never wash my gis with hot water. I also don’t put them on dryer. In terms of shrinkage, the jacket’s sleeve shrunk an inch give or take. For the pants, it stayed the same even after 4 consecutive washes.

There was also no sign of discoloration or wear and tear on the embroideries.

PROS

-Very soft inner jacket.
-Very comfy while rolling.
-Extra thick collar EVA foam.
-Outstanding design.
-Possibility of getting an extra pair of pants.

CONS

-Long sleeves for an A2 size.
-No re-runs

Where to buy it?

You can get the Aesthetic Aurora IV for £109.99 (185$) plus shipping. Though it is a bit pricey, I’d stick to this over most premium gis.

European customers can buy this gi in www.fightaesthetic.com
US customers can also buy it in www.martialartssupplies.com or www.rollmore.com

Review by Alejandro Molina, blue belt from Cia Paulista Team Spain.